On-the-job training in Australia.
The Training and Research (Subclass 407) Visa – Occupational Trainee Stream allows you to work for an Australian employer whilst undertaking on-the-job training.
407 VISA LENGTH
The 407 visa is granted for a specific period, anywhere from six months to two years. The Immigration Case Officer will decide the length of the visa based on how much training they think you need. At the end of the 407 visa, you may be eligible for another type of visa.
NOMINATION BY AN EMPLOYER
Your employer must nominate you (and they cannot be a sole trader or an individual).
ELIGIBILITY FOR A 407 VISA
In the past 24 months, you must have worked or studied full time for at least 12 months, in the occupation that will be nominated.
407 VISA CONDITIONS
You can only work for your sponsor. You must work at least 30 hours per week and be paid at least the Award rate.
407 VISA PROCESSING TIME
A Training and Research (Subclass 407) Visa – Occupational Trainee Stream is processed in approximately 3 – 4 months. If your current visa is due to expire, their is the option to lodge your 407 visa so you can remain in Australia on a bridging visa during the processing time.
3 steps to get the Training Visa (subclass 407)
Step 1 – Company accreditation to sponsor
(different sponsor from Temporary Work (Skilled) sponsor for TSS visas)
Your employer will need to demonstrate the financial stability of the organisation and comply with its Sponsor Obligations.
STEP 2 – NOMINATION
As a trainee, you have to have a direct relationship with the company, you cannot be provided by a third party.
There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:
- workplace-based training required for registration.
- structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation.
- training that promotes capacity building overseas (overseas qualification, government support or professional development).
Remuneration: Unless you are undertaking a volunteer position, as an occupational trainee you must be paid in accordance with Australia’s industrial relation laws. A copy of the training contract or agreement, detailing your remuneration, must be included with the nomination.
STEP 3 – VISA
You will need to provide:
- Your qualifications.
- Age, be at least 18 years of age.
- Work experience when required.
- 2 resent passport sized photos.
- Birth certificate copy of original document, showing names of both parents.
- Health insurance.
- Undergo medical examinations within 12 months of lodging a visa application.
- Military service papers.
- Obtain police clearance from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the past 10 years.
- English IELTS test minimum level 4.5, within 12 months prior the application.
- Evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members if accompanied while in Australia.
Note that you should have at least 30h a week of training, of which no more than can be 30% classroom-based